Monday, August 31, 2009

A Decade of Decadance

As of September 1st, 2009, I will have been at my job for 10 years. I don't really know what to say about that, except that it's a long time.

Now, two things worth mentioning (I think); First, I was only 23 years-old when I got the job, but anytime you start counting things in decades, you know you're aging rapidly. Second, lest anyone think I've never experienced anything in the last ten years, I used to be a nine-month employee, so every summer I had to find something else to do to earn money, and I didn't always accomplish this. The summer spent filming an indie movie I never saw springs to mind, as does the phone book delivery job, which paid you per book. Not a way to put food on the table.

Anywho, as I talk to people about being at my job for this long, most of them think back to where they were ten years ago (some of them were in high school, which really frazzles me), and some people think this is some sort of accomplishment. I guess it is nice to have not been fired all this time, but it's not like I've been moving up in the ranks, either. But it is really amazing that I can commit to a job for ten years, but there's not much chance I could commit to a spouse that long. Maybe if she paid me.

The bottom line is that security is a big thing with me, and knowing my way around has kkept me at this job so long. But more importantly is that I work with some amazing folks over there, and there's no way I could do it everyday without them. They are the main reason I haven't wanted to leave, really. Sure, there are higher-paying jobs, but sometimes the paycheck comes second to peace of mind. Can't really put a price on that.

No comments: