Thursday, March 13, 2008

Selling the Comics

The other day, I ordered pizza from the nearby Papa Gino's. It came around 8:00, and I consumed it. A little after 10:00, my phone rings, and it was someone from Papa Gino's. He seemed rather unsure of himself and said she was conducting a survey on customer service. He asked if my pizza arrived and if everything was okay, and I assured him it was. He asked who the driver was, and I answered, "I don't know. Some girl." "Oh," he responded, "Was she wearing a red jacket?" I said she was, and suddenly started getting suspicious about the whole thing. Then he asked if she gave me a receipt, and I said I didn't know (who cares about a receipt for pizza?) Then he thanked me and hung up. Suspicious. After recounting this story to my friend Lauren, she said, "This would only happen to you." Priceless.

Anyway, what I really was wondering was if my three readers had any thoughts on selling old comic books. I'm really broke, and the only thing I have that is of any value (that I haven't already sold) is my comic collection. Plus, comics one day may go digital, and who knows how the value will change? Be that as it may, I'm broke now, so, I'm wondering what to do.

I've recently started trading some of my comics on WeBuyComics.com with some success (I even traded in some old, really crappy ALF comics which I never thought I'd be able to get rid of). I used to trade them in for cash, but the site gives you much more value in credit, and I am trying to acquire every issue of Strangers in Paradise, so trading behooves me at this time. The other option is eBay, but it seems like unless you have a variant cover of Superman #1 graded 9.8, you have to sell huge lots of comics, and even then you're probably not going to make back what you paid for them. but they're the only game in town, so...

What I'm looking for is a place that sells comics the way half.com or amazon sells them. You list that you have a copy of a comic, and if someone wants it, they buy it from you. WizardWorld.com used to have a service like this (before they got sued), and I sold a few books that way. The only drawback was that some people would give you crap about the condition of the book. Still, it seems like the best way to do it. Does anybody have any idea if a site like this exists? or some way to get rid of these books in a profitable way? Or, let's face it, should I even do it? I mean, it's nice to have a collection, but you can't take it with you, and what am I really going to do with every issue of Ultimate Spider-man?

Except the ones that are worth the most money, of course.

No comments: