Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Without a Net

Today, I had my last scheduled appointment at Beth Israel for three months.  I was told my chest X-Ray looked great, the incision site has healed, and I could even go swimming if I wanted (and yeah, I want to.)  They actually used the technical term "Wow" when they saw how well I had healed up.  Doctors, eh?
So, that is that, for awhile.  I mean, I still have appointments with my rheumatologist to control the steroids, but that's just a regular office visit, not a whole hospital thing.  I won't have to see a surgeon.  This is obviously good news.  However, I would be lying if i said i wasn't a little nervous.  For one, I was specifically told not to cover the site where the chest tube was, which is no longer a gaping wound, but still, I know it was there.  Also, with no appointments and no visiting nurse, I'm pretty much on my own.  I have to determine if I'm sick or have some kind of infection (which is still a danger.)  Considering how long I let the agony go at the start of this whole thing, that could be very dangerous.  Hopefully, I'll be smarter should anything like that happen. (So, people, please tell me if I look like shit.)
As I ease back into a normal life now, because I guess I have to, I am forced to look back and wonder how I spent all this recovery time.  Basically, I spent a lot of time on the internets, accomplishing not very much.  I mean, I wasn't trying to change the world, just get through the days, but I suppose I could have worked a little harder at making use of my time.  Unfortunately, that's just where my life is at right now.  Honestly, I spent most of my time online when I wasn't recovering from a severe infection.  Now here we are, one month of summer left, and I think I'm going to try and accomplish something that doesn't have anything to do with the internet.  I have no idea what, but I'll know it when I see it.  And it will be cool, and make me feel good, and when it's over, I'll write all about it right here on my blog.
Oh, come on.  I didn;t say I was giving up.

No comments: